A chat can be a useful real-time communication tool that your instructor might use in your course. You can identify chats in Moodle by the following icon:
Video: Moodle Chats
The following video will show you how to use the chat activity in Moodle. A PDF of the video script is located at the bottom of this solution.
INSTRUCTIONS: Moodle Chats
- To join a chat, click on the chat link on the course main page.
- Read any directions in the chat description, then click Click here to enter this chat.
- A pop-up window will open containing the chat. All chat participants will be shown on the right side of the screen.
- To send a message, type a message into the box at the bottom of the window and push the Send button.
- To send a message in the chat directly to one of the participants:
- Click the Talk link under their name. A special note will now appear in the message box.
- Type your message and click Send.
NOTE: Everyone in the chat will be able to see this message, however it is now flagged for its intended recipient.
- When you are ready to leave the chat, close the window.
- You can view previously recorded chats by clicking View past chat sessions.
Challenge: Check out the Chat Interface
There is a sample chat located in the Moodle Sandbox. Go to the Moodle Sandbox and click on the chat link to see and experiment with the chat interface. Perhaps you will meet a fellow student there too.
CLICK HERE to return to the TUTORIAL: How to Use Moodle Features (Academic Students)